W. James Johnson
James has over 20 years of experience in construction law. He is a proven litigator who has successfully tried numerous matters to verdict in a wide range of construction, business, and transactional matters. James has successfully prosecuted substantial highway adjustment claims with the North Carolina Department of Transportation. James has represented residential and commercial general contractors, developers, trade contractors, suppliers, and design professionals throughout North and South Carolina in matters that include contract negotiations and disputes, representation before licensing boards, and disputes arising on federal and state public projects. In addition, he has been involved in a number of complex business and commercial disputes and handles payment and collection claims involving liens and bonds. James has successfully prosecuted claims involving product defects, shareholder disputes, fiduciary claims, lender liability, and business dissolution.
James speaks regularly to his legal peers and industry groups on construction law matters.
James is a certified Superior Court Mediator.
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Wofford College, Bachelor’s Degree in English
Awards and Honors
- Legal Elite “Hall of Fame,” Construction
- Best Lawyers of America
- Super Lawyers
- Participating Author, North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chairperson and Planner “Construction Law 2013: Practice Smarter, Not Harder”
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” 2011-2013
- South Carolina Law Review, Past Editor